An advertisement in The Moore County Pioneer on October 20, 1911 for The Dumas Livery Stable said:
“Gentle horses and competent driving
A Joy Ride in one of our neat turnouts
Will please that wife of yours.”
Horses were an important part of transportation, but things began to change in the 1910’s.
Cars starting coming to Moore County. Charles L. Dore opened his garage and machine shop. He advertised that “the shop was equipped to handle all classes of repair work and carried a complete stock of car accessories, oils, greases, and casings.”
If the car was beyond repair, Dore sold a new Dart automobile for $700. He also sold tires and ran the Hupmobile Service Station.
The Hupmobile is an unusual automobile. Robert Hupp, a former employee of Oldsmobile and Ford, with his brother Louis Hupp founded the Hupp Motor Car Co., in Detroit, Michigan.
They introduced the Hupmobile Model 20, a two-passenger runabout with a four-cylinder engine and a two-speed transmission at the 1908 Detroit Auto Show. First year sales topped 1,600.
The Hupmobile continued in popularity and by 1928 sales had increased to 65,862. The early 1930’s began the demise of the car and the company. With the stock market crash, sales dipped 23% and the depression loomed. The company continued to struggle until the 1940’s when they ceased production.
The museum is lucky to have one of the early Hupmobile on display. The car is a 1910 model and was used prior to World War II as a mail delivery vehicle in East Texas. The steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle.
The car is owned by Jackie Patterson. When she and her husband, David, acquired the vehicle, it was in need of many repairs. The seat had to be completely rebuilt and now matches the original seat. Much of the body is wood and was painted bright red with gold pinstripes to match the metal hood and fenders.
The headlights on the car are acetylene gas and the tail lights burn kerosene.
Speed on the car is supposedly around 40 mph, but drivers say 20 mph is a better speed.
The Hupmobile’s present owner has agreed to leave the car at the museum as a temporary display.
It now brightens up the museum barn with its bright red paint and gleaming brass trim.
It’s a sight to see!
Archives at Window on the Plains Museum
100 Moore Years